Thursday, March 18, 2010

Possibly the Best Cookie Bar Ever


In yesterday's post about our cats of the past, there was the promise of a post about cookies. On Tuesday, the day we had to take Carol to the vet, I felt some comfort cookies were warranted. I had some yellow cake mix and a can of coconut-pecan frosting that I wanted to combine, and I went in search of recipes on Allrecipes.com using their Ingredients search, which is brilliant, by the way.

I found a recipe for German Chocolate Bars. The only thing I did differently was to switch the German chocolate cake mix for yellow cake mix. I had regular chocolate mix but wanted to try the combination of yellow cake mix with that frosting. (Side note: one of the layers of our wedding cake was white cake with coconut-pecan filling, and it was sooo good!)

It turned out to be such a rich, delicious cookie bar! It's definitely going into my regular rotation and will probably be a new gift cookie for me to make, too. It's almost too sweet with the chocolate chips, but the fact that they're semi-sweet keeps it from going over the top. I think next time I'll try making part of it without the chocolate chips to see how I like it. I'm thinking it will have a pecan pie type of flavor. I actually think this would be too sweet using a chocolate cake mix, but if you love lots of chocolate in a cookie, you may think it's perfect that way!

Here's the recipe, or you can click on the link above to go to the original:

Best Ever Cookie Bars
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
3/4 cup stick butter or margarine, softened
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 (16 ounce) container coconut pecan frosting
1/4 cup milk

Place cake mix in a bowl; mix in butter with hands until well blended. Press 2-1/2 cups into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes; immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Drop frosting by tablespoonfuls over the chips and spread gently. Stir milk into the remaining cake mixture; drop by teaspoonfuls over top and spread gently to cover as much as possible.

Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until bubbly around the edges and top is cracked. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 4 hours or freeze for 30 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment