Monday, December 6, 2010

Have I Turned a Little Grinchy?

I'm not sure why, but I just don't feel all that Christmasy this year.  I've been looking forward to this season with anticipation, but now that it's here, it doesn't feel like Christmastime.

Our tree has been decorated for the better part of a week, we hung up stockings a few nights ago, the outdoor decorations went out in full force yesterday, other decorations have been put up around the house (with some more to come), and I've been buying gifts for weeks, nay, months.  And over Thanksgiving weekend, we watched Elf and White Christmas.  Not to mention all the Christmas music we've been listening to.  So why am I not feeling it?

It seems like I'm not experiencing the sentimental/emotional side of it.  It's not that I'm busier this year than in past years.  In fact, if anything, I'm less busy than in most recent years.  And I don't think the opposite is true, that I need to be busier to feel like it's Christmas (heavens, no, not that!).  I just feel oddly disconnected somehow.

Nothing bad is happening (knock on wood), and we've had other years where the Christmas season was full of stress and emotional upheaval and we still felt like Christmas was happening.  Intellectually I get that it is, and I know that it's only 2 1/2 weeks until Christmas Eve.

Not sure what's going on, but I'd like to feel Christmas a little more this year.

2 comments:

  1. Plus, we already got snowed in.

    We need to go to Nordstroms. Also, our decorating has been piecemeal. We didn't rip open a bunch of boxes the day after Thanksgiving and spend a whole day running around setting stuff out and rediscovering decorations and stuff.

    We might have also started the Christmas music too early? And maybe it doesn't feel Christmas-y enough at church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some good points. Going away for Thanksgiving was really fun, but coming back on Saturday did kind of throw off my Christmas decorating groove. And I did feel like we were maybe listening to Christmas music a little too much before we should have. And Christmas at church is more subtle in some ways than I'd like. I'm not sure if Nordstrom would make me feel Christmasy, though.

    ReplyDelete