Thursday, December 9, 2010

One of These Things is Not Like the Other

I have two jars of light mayonnaise in my refrigerator at the moment.  One is Best Foods Light Mayonnaise:

The other is Fred Meyer "Lite" Mayonnaise:

15 more calories and 1.5 grams of fat more in the Fred Meyer version than in the Best Foods version.  I don't know if the use of "lite" means "not as healthy as light but better than our regular version and we'll sell more this way," but if so, that seems more than a little deceptive.

I also have 2 light ranch salad dressings on hand.  Wishbone Light Ranch is 40 calories for 2 tablespoons, while Kraft Light Ranch is 80 calories.  That's a pretty big disparity.

I was never that careful a label reader before I started to track my calories a few months ago with Lose It.  I'd check packages sometimes for desserts or frozen meals or things like that, but I wouldn't necessarily pick up a bottle of salad dressing or a jar of mayonnaise to see how many calories and fat grams it contained or how it compared with other similar dressings/condiments.  I'm becoming much more aware that I need to check labels and not just assume that they're all roughly equivalent to one another.  That sometimes results in me paying a little more for the healthier version, but I think that's worth it.  It's a tradeoff I'm willing to make to lose the remaining extra pounds that I've carried for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment