Friday, June 24, 2011

Time to Get Back on the Horse

Life threw me for a loop for a couple of months.  Okay, it was five months.

The last time I wrote about our kids, we were still a bit in the dark in terms of what was going on with each.  I've written updates about them on Facebook, but writing blog posts seemed overwhelming, like too much work when I was just struggling to try to keep up with the day-to-day stuff.  I'd been making really great headway at the beginning of the year in getting through the decluttering of areas that had been neglected for far too long, and I was starting to work on things that I'd been wanting to do for a while.  But once we entered the world of evaluations and therapy, it knocked the wind out of me.  Plus this might have been the grayest winter we've had since moving here in March 2006, and it seemed to last FOREVER.

I felt like I just could not get back into the swing of things, much less gain forward momentum again, for months.  I was sapped of energy and motivation.  I'd look around at things that needed doing and feel helpless to do them.  Even had a few days where I felt real despair.

I actually went to my doctor for a checkup, not knowing if what I was experiencing was just a natural reaction to stressful life circumstances or if I might actually be going through depression or an anxiety disorder.  She ran some blood tests, and it turns out that my vitamin D level was pretty low.  Symptoms of low vitamin D can include depression and chronic fatigue.  She put me on a 50,000 unit weekly vitamin D prescription for 6 months, and after that I'm supposed to take a daily dosage.

I've started to feel much better this week.  I think that the vitamin D is kicking in, and that combined with the sunshine we've had for most of the week has helped me to find some motivation and be productive.

It has felt really good to get a lot done and use my time well.  I'm looking forward to clearing away the clutter that was already in existence and that which has gathered in the last few months.  It's going to be great to have the house get more and more cleared out, but we're going to have to be vigilant about ways to keep the clutter from building back up.

I was going to write about the kids, too, but I think I'll have to save that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment