Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wii the People

James had been thinking about getting a Wii (and Wii Fit) using some money he'd gotten for Christmas and his birthday. After hearing about a friend who'd lost 4 pounds in a week with his Wii Fit, we decided to take the plunge.

The machine itself seems to weigh erratically, so I don't trust what it's telling me about weight gained or lost, but I'll be keeping an eye on my own scale. And in the 7 days we've gotten it, I've exercised for at least 30 minutes (that's 30 minutes of actual movement, since the Wii also spends time setting up the exercises and doesn't count that in your usage) every day but one. That was the day before Easter, and I was way too crazed with getting things prepared to take the time to use it, although now I wish I'd made the time.

At any rate, I'm now motivated to exercise daily because it's actually fun, and because of the competition factor. James and I have each set up a profile (or "Mii"), and I think we're both fairly competitive, so we each want to get the high score on the various exercises. Plus, you're competing with yourself and trying to do better each day, so you're pushing yourself in that way, too.

I started with the Balance and Aerobics components and added Yoga a few days later. I can already tell I'm improving with my breathing, posture, balance and flexibility. It's great to be able to see progress so quickly. It inspires me to keep going.

The other motivating factor is that when you start up the Wii and take the Body Test (where it checks your weight, BMI, balance, etc.), you get a stamp on your Mii's calendar. So I don't want to miss another day and have a stampless day on my calendar.

So while I had a poor start this year on working towards my weight loss goal of 30+ pounds, I feel like I'm now establishing some great workout habits, and those are also trickling into my eating habits a bit. Hopefully I'll find that to be more true as I continue working out and start to see more outward results.

No comments:

Post a Comment