Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Songs I Love, Part 1 of 2

Since I last posted about Christmas songs I abhor, I thought I would cover the flip side of the coin today. These are songs that really touch me, that hold nostalgia or that are just plain fun.

1. Here With Us - Joy Williams
Now that I'm a mother, and particularly now that I'm the mother of a son, songs that are written about Mary's role as Jesus' mother just get to me. This one is a gorgeous song that mostly talks about the mystery of God becoming flesh in the form of a tiny baby and talks about how Mary had to "rock her Savior to sleep." Wow. What a thought!



2. Angels We Have Heard on High - Sara Groves
This is a simple arrangement of a song that's so familiar to many people. It takes out the "Glo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o...." etc. part and turns it into a lilting praise song.

3. A Cradle in Bethlehem - Sara Groves
Sara Groves' album became my favorite Christmas album when we bought it last year. This song is one that was co-written by Nat King Cole and originally sung by him. "A mother tonight is rocking a cradle in Bethlehem."



4. When Love Came Down - Point of Grace
This is an uptempo song that speaks of caring for those in need and the wish for peace on earth. It's just peppy - what can I say?

5. Christmas Canon - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
You're probably familiar with this one, a Christmasy version of Pachelbel's Canon in D. I love the original song, and this one, too. The video can't be embedded, but you can see it by clicking here.

Part 2 coming in the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment