Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Songs I Love, Part 2 of 2

Here are the rest of my list of favorite Christmas songs. I may have forgotten a few, but this should mostly cover it. If you missed part 1, you can find that list here. These songs and the ones in part 1 are not in any particular order, but I'm numbering them for the sake of neatness and because I'm just that way.

6. Mary's Boy Child - Harry Belafonte
Hark, now hear the angels sing,
A new King born today,
And man will live forevermore,
Because of Christmas day.

A very simple musical arrangement combined with powerful lyrics make this one a favorite of mine. Harry Belafonte originally recorded this in 1956. I love Belafonte's voice on this - it's a great match.



7. White Christmas - Bing Crosby
I actually didn't experience a white Christmas until moving to Washington state nearly 4 years ago, but who doesn't immediately think of fond memories of Christmas when they hear this song? Interestingly, the version that we know is not the 1942 original recording by Crosby, but the re-recording from 1947 that tried to exactly replicate the original master, which had become damaged from frequent use. The song first appeared in the 1942 film "Holiday Inn," and was later featured in the 1954 movie "White Christmas."

8. All I Want for Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
There's no deep meaning here, just a fun frothy love song at Christmastime. Sometimes Mariah Carey can oversing *just* a tad, but not on this song. It was written for Carey's 1994 Christmas album.



9. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Mariah Carey
This song was originally recorded by Darlene Love in 1963. It has since been done by a ton of people, but I like this version best of the ones I know. Another song where Mariah Carey keeps the melisma under control and has fun with a song.



10. - O Holy Night - Point of Grace
Lots of people have beautiful versions of this song, but I like the ethereal sound of this one. It's hushed and gentle, and the phrases of the verses overlap, then it has soaring harmonies on the chorus. Just lovely.

What are your favorite Christmas songs?

No comments:

Post a Comment