Saturday, July 16, 2011

Coconut Pecan Frosting Recipe

We're headed to a family reunion today, and I decided to make some cookie bars to take with us, along with some layered bean dip and tortilla chips.  The cookie bars are awesome - a buttery firm bottom crust, semisweet chocolate chips sprinkled over it, a rich coconut pecan frosting layer (the kind of frosting you use in German chocolate cake) and a top crust of the same mixture as the bottom, thinned with a little milk.  I've blogged about them here.  The problem with the bars, though, is that all of the canned coconut pecan frostings I've seen have red dye 40 in them for some reason, and Rachel can't have red dye 40, so she didn't get to eat them whenever I made them.

I thought I'd try my hand at a homemade coconut pecan frosting instead, since I knew I could make it dye-free.  I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com, my favorite go-to website when I'm looking to try something new.  I made it yesterday, and BOY, did it turn out yummy!  I probably won't buy the canned kind again.  It's convenient, but there's also a weird tang or aftertaste, and I'm guessing that's due to the preservatives.  I'd much rather just make it myself know that I know it's not difficult and tastes so great.


Doesn't that make your mouth water?

Two notes:  I toasted the coconut and pecans before adding them to the frosting, and I stirred the frosting on the stove at a low boil for about 11 or 12 minutes.  I didn't stir constantly, but very regularly, since it can get lumpy if you don't keep it well stirred.

I encourage you to give it a try, and if you do, let me know what you think of your results!

No comments:

Post a Comment