Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Favorite Routine of SYTYCD Season 5

I'm not sure season 5 of So You Think You Can Dance grabbed me like the past seasons have. I don't know if it was the contestants, the routines or both. But I did find a number of routines that I particularly enjoyed or that were powerfully choreographed and performed. I think this one is my favorite. In some ways, it's a difficult routine to watch. It's about the hold that addiction has on a person who's trying to escape it, and the emotion is raw and powerful. The routine was choreographed by Mia Michaels and was performed by Kayla and Kupono.



A close runner-up was the contemporary dance done to "If It Kills Me," choreographed by Travis Wall and danced by Jeanine (season 5's winner) and Jason. It portrays a friendship that's on the verge of becoming a romantic relationship. This one was emotional, too, but in a beautiful, sweet way.



SYTYCD season 6 is kicking off on September 9, only 5 weeks after the normal summer season ends. It's the first time they're having a fall season. I actually wish they would have started the season in November or December, during what's a fairly dead time for many primetime shows. It's also nice to have a bit of a break between seasons for a show that's on two nights a week. But I love the dancing they feature and having a chance to see so much talent, and the judges are generally really knowledgeable and helpful in their critiques and their praise. It's one of my favorite talent-based competition shows, along with HGTV's Design Star and The Next Food Network Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment