Monday, August 17, 2009

A System Based on Trust

I was driving home from visiting my mom in Lakewood today and was on the road with a lot of trucks. Some of them were going past me on curves in the opposite direction that I was going, and it occurred to me how much we rely on other people for our safety when we're driving.

If someone behind the wheel of a semi was careless or inattentive, sleepy, angry or suicidal, it wouldn't take much for them to cross a barrier (or no barrier, just a line), and life would be over, or severely changed. That's a scary thought, but it's not one I'm going to dwell on. I think we always need to be alert when we're driving, but our system definitely depends on trusting one another to follow the rules. It's a good thing people generally do.

No comments:

Post a Comment