Monday, August 31, 2009

HGTV's Next Design Star

I've watched Design Star since the first episode of season 1 and have always enjoyed the challenges they do. This season has just been a little lackluster to me. The challenges are still interesting and there's drama in trying to complete them in the time allowed, but I think the contestants aren't as appealing this time. There are 3 contestants left, and while some of them are interesting designers, their personalities are lacking. One is really arrogant and pushy and totally hijacked the group project on last night's episode. One seems to have an okay personality, but none of her designs stand out to me and her personality is boring in terms of watching her on her own TV show. The third has had some good ideas and did a wonderful individual room. Each contestant started with an all-white room with a few simple pieces of furniture and had to come up with a concept and execute it only with what they could find in a grocery store. Dan created this room as a deconstruction of an apple orchard:


It was just so well done and looked really striking. Dan is probably who I'd pull for if he makes it to the final two, but I still don't know if I'd find his show entertaining enough.

I hope they do a better job of casting for the next season and don't just look for wacky personalities to fill most of the slots, like it seemed they did this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment