Tuesday, January 20, 2009

If I Say It Here, Then I Have To Do It

I was reading a friend's blog, and he was talking about how few Christians actually read the Bible even once a week. For some time now I've been thinking that I need to read mine more regularly. I mean, if I want to be more godly, shouldn't I be reading more about God so that it becomes more a part of me and reacting like Him becomes more natural?

I've hesitated in the past to make formal commitments about reading regularly in my Bible, I guess because I'm not sure I can be consistent and really do it. I did actually start a Bible-in-one-year plan once but petered out somewhere around March and never got caught back up. But I was thinking: How much time do I spend on Google Reader? Checking e-mail? Reading articles on EW.com? And now, blogging? If I can find the time to do those things, I can find the time to read a chapter or two of the Bible each day. Most aren't that long and just take a few minutes.

I've decided to read through the New Testament this year. Not as big a commitment as reading through the entire Bible in a year, but I think this is a big enough piece of it for me to bite off this year. Between that, the book we're reading for our small group and the Beth Moore Bible study I'm doing with women at my church, I'd say that's more than enough serious study and discussion time.

Once I establish consistency reading the New Testament, I'll either move on into the Old Testament and read through that in 2010, or I may try to read the entire Bible. Either way, I'll find myself reading through the Bible within 2 years. I found a website that will e-mail me a chapter each weekday. I'll need to catch up on most of Matthew first, but that shouldn't take me too long, then I'll be on track with the rest.

They actually had 13 different reading plans depending on how much and what you want to cover in a year, and they had probably a dozen different translations you can choose between. You can find the plans here.

No comments:

Post a Comment