Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Missed the Darwin Awards by *That* Much

This article is about the accidental shooting of an 81-year-old actor in a Florida seniors theater group. The gun belonged to a member of the group.

This is what gets me:
"The group had used the gun in the past as a prop, but the member told police she did not check to see if the gun was loaded when she brought it for the show Sunday.

The actor who pulled the trigger, who is also the president of the group and the play's director, told police 'it was stupid' not to check to make sure the gun was empty."

Uh, ya think? Why on earth wouldn't someone, particularly the gun's owner, have checked to see if the gun was loaded? What was the thought process there? "Hmm, I'm pretty sure I haven't used the gun with real bullets recently. Wait...did I? No, no, I don't think so. I'm sure we'll be fine." It's a miracle the actor, who is 81 years old, didn't die and wasn't critically injured.


I don't get how you don't have checks and balances when a REAL GUN is being used in a theatrical production. Or a prop gun, for that matter. You just don't behave that carelessly with guns, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment