Sunday, November 8, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

At least if you look at our bill-paying program, where I've been logging Christmas purchases for a while now. Yesterday was a big online shopping day for me and I made some good progress on my Christmas list, but it was for the people for whom it's easy to shop (James, the kids and my mom). So now I'm down to the people who make it more challenging because they either seem to have everything they want and you don't want to just give them junk for the sake of giving them something, people with whom I don't hang out frequently enough to know just what they'd like and people where, when you ask their spouse what they might like, the spouse says "Oh, I don't know, I'm sure they'll like whatever you give them."

I'm totally ripping this off from my friend Adrea's blog, but this, people, is why you need Amazon wish lists. I've had one for probably 9 or 10 years now and just update it before and after big gift-giving occasions like my birthday and Christmas. So does James. I think I'm going to just start harping on other family members to create one and keep it updated so we can actually get them things they want. And here are my rebuttals for arguments they might make:

"I really don't need anything." Tough. You're going to get something, and I'd rather it be something you'll enjoy. Gift-giving is my love language, and dangit, you're making it hard for me to love you if you don't give me some kind of idea of the gifts you'd like.

"I like to be surprised." Fine, then put items that you already own and enjoy on your wish list, and I'll use that to choose other things that I think would be good for you based upon those items. You'll be surprised, and I'll get some helpful guidance.

"It's so limited." No, it's not. Amazon allows people to add items from any other shopping website with a Universal wish list button. It's brilliant, and you don't have to limit yourself to Amazon's choices (which, by the way, are pretty varied - so if you couldn't find even a few things on Amazon's website, too, perhaps you're too picky).

"It seems like a hassle to set up." They make it pretty easy, really. Now you're just reaching for an argument.

So to sum it up, make it easy on everyone who might buy you a Christmas gift and create an Amazon wish list, then make sure you drop hints that you have such a list so that people don't bang their heads into the wall trying to figure out what to get you this year. Or else you might find a Chia Obama under the tree with your name on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment