Sunday, November 1, 2009

NaBloPoMo

Today is the beginning of National Blog Posting Month, or NaBloPoMo. The goal is to post at least one entry every day during the month of November. Nothing specific came to my mind to post just now, but I thought "How sad would it be if I couldn't even make it one day before failing?"

How can it already be November? This year has actually gone by really quickly. It seems just like yesterday that we were working on putting the tile floor in our kitchen and half bathroom, but that was July, and now we're gearing up for Thanksgiving. And just over 4 weeks after that, Christmas. I started working on my Christmas shopping in July during that tile project week, which is what made me think of that (I'm spiderwebbing, people). While I've done some additional shopping since then, I'm not as far along my list as I'd hoped to be by now. Some of the people in my life really need to make it easier to shop for them. Might I suggest Amazon.com wishlists, family-members-who-are-so-hard-to-peg? Of course, I don't think those people read my blog, so that's probably not going to happen.

I am so excited for Christmas this year. I don't know what family members' plans are this year as they seem to be somewhat up in the air for a while longer, but I plan on enjoying a great family time with whoever is around. I think Ben will really be into the opening of gifts and stockings this year, although I do suspect we'll have a time keeping him out of other people's stockings, or unpacking them again after they've been discovered, unloaded and repacked. He may also just start ripping and tearing at packages willy-nilly. But if that happens, I'm sure it will just add to the fun!

I wonder how many more years Rachel will believe in Santa. I don't remember how old I was when I stopped believing, although I'm guessing it was older than Rachel will be. Kids these days know too much, so I think we may have one or two more years, tops. Then we'll have to get her in on the act of pretending for Ben's sake.

It's kind of an odd thing when you think about it. We create this myth of Santa and tell our kids about it and encourage them to believe, only to have to explain that he isn't real when they start seriously asking questions. I wonder if that's upsetting to kids, or if most are ready for that knowledge by the time they have it. I truly don't remember how or when I knew, so I don't think it was anything that scarred me psychologically. And if that was a common problem, I'm sure we'd hear about it.

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts this evening. I don't know if I'll be posting every day this month, but I'm going to try to post as many days as I can. Hopefully at least some of the posts are interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment