Saturday, November 20, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, pt. 1

I saw the latest Harry Potter film today, and overall I think it was a really strong adaptation of the first half of the book.  Some (possibly spoilery if you haven't seen the movie yet) thoughts:

  • The scene with the Death Eaters around the table at Malfoy Manor and Charity Burbage dangling above it was harrowing, just as it should have been.
  • How Hedwig meets her fate made more sense than in the written version, I think, as well as the fact that her defense of Harry is what gives him away to the Death Eaters.  I thought it was strange in the book that they would just put her in a cage and shove the cage into the bottom of Hagrid's motorcycle.
  • I wish they had included the interactions between Harry and the Dursleys as the Dursleys were leaving Privet Drive.  I especially missed Dudley's conversation and handshake and think that would have made a touching moment.
  • I would have liked to have seen more of the flight from Privet Drive and the battle that went on, but what we saw was well-done, though condensed.
  • Mad Eye's eye was left at the Ministry of Magic, which seemed like a big oversight to me.  Harry made a point in the book that he couldn't leave part of Mad Eye there for Dolores' use, and I believe it's his taking of the eye from Dolores' office door that alerts the Ministry to the fact that there are intruders.
  • It would have added more poignancy to the trio's inability to return to No. 12 Grimmauld Place if there had been scenes of the warming relationship between them and Kreacher, and his increasing care for them.
  • The time wandering in the wilderness was handled well and didn't feel like it dragged on overly long.  The book has about 110 pages covering that, and it did seem like it went on and on.  I'm thinking the book editors could have trimmed a little here and there while still conveying how they were weary, demoralized and spending a lot of time doing nothing.
  • I was disappointed that Wormtail didn't meet the end that he does in the book.  Presumably he'll die in the second movie, but I liked that his moment of mercy towards Harry is what leads to his undoing.
  • Dobby was awesome, totally heroic and not at all annoying.  He was great when helping Kreacher to drag Mundungus to Grimmauld Place, as well as during his appearance in Malfoy Manor.  And I'm not ashamed to admit that I teared up at his death.
  • I thought the movie ended slightly abruptly and would have liked for them to have already had the discussion to decide whether they should pursue the Deathly Hallows or the horcruxes.  I thought the ending would be when they decided to go after the remaining horcruxes, somewhat like in LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas go after Merri and Pippin and there's more of a note of hope and purpose.
I think this movie did quite a good job of including all of the important pieces and depicting them well.  It translated the spirit of the book without jazzing it up too much for the movie audience and including things like a dragon breaking free from its chain and going on an extended chase of Harry around Hogwarts.  I'm glad that they decided to break the book into two parts, because I can't imagine what kind of choppy mess they would have ended up with had they tried to fit everything into one movie, even if it was a very long one.

Definitely looking forward to part 2 and seeing the Battle of Hogwarts happen, even though I won't be happy seeing the deaths to come.  I have a feeling I may need some tissue for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment