Sunday, November 28, 2010

Spinach (and Allrecipes) to the Rescue!

We had an hour before we were about to sit down and eat our Thanksgiving meal when we realized that we didn't have the green beans for the green bean casserole.  Gilda really had her heart set on having it, so Corey went in search of a nearby business that would have green beans so that he could run and pick them up and the casserole could be made.  The down side of staying in a sort-of-middle-of-nowhere rental is that there are no major businesses, and the small businesses close on holidays.  No green bean casserole.

Plan B:  Corey was determined that we were having bacon, darnitall.  So I went to my trusty Allrecipes.com and started to look for a recipe.  I had brought a bag of fresh spinach to use in salad the next day, but I had some other salad greens, so I wondered what kind of salad I could find that used spinach and bacon.

Voila!  Wilted Spinach Salad.  This is not a lowcal dish by any means, but it sure was tasty and I think it made a pretty good substitution for the casserole.  It's basically just spinach, hardboiled eggs, green onions and crumbled bacon with a dressing made up bacon drippings, eggs, sugar and vinegar.  The original recipe called for white vinegar and red wine vinegar.  The rental's pantry had rice vinegar, so I used that, and boy was it good!  I think I'll have to pick up some rice vinegar to add to my vinegar collection in the kitchen.

Thanks again, Allrecipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment