Sunday, November 21, 2010

It's Snowing . . . Yay?

And I'm okay with that.  A week ago, I was completely not ready for snow and was dreading the thought of it.  I'm a little scared at how steadily it's falling considering that it's out first snow of the year and started several hours ago.  I'm hoping that there's not going to be enough of it for a while to really stick around and make driving tricky.

I think the thing I've dreaded most about it being snowy is picking up Rachel at school.  I hate hate HATE having to sit in the carline and will usually just park and walk over to her and go back to the car as an alternative, but then it's sometimes hard to get back out of the parking space due to how many cars are backed up waiting in the carline.  They move to the right so that people who are leaving the lot can drive down the left, but if they're blocking you in from behind, you're pretty much stuck until someone leaves enough room or the carline gets short enough to back out.

So most days I park on the street just past the school, put Ben in his stroller and walk up to the playground where we wait for Rachel's class to come out of their upper floor classroom on their way to the stairway and the front of the school.  We just meet her there and walk to the car, and take off and we're done.

Not sure that's going to work so well with temps in the 30s and icy ground.  If the ground's not icy and I can keep Ben warm enough, I think standing and waiting for a few minutes in the freezing temperature will still be preferable to dealing with the overcrowded parking lot, especially if I can time it so that we're pretty much just walking up to the playground as the classes are letting out.  It's hard to time, though, because some teachers let out right at 3:19 or 3:20 (dismissal time is 3:20), some seem to wait for the bell to ring so that it's more "official" (and the bell rings late for some reason, around 3:22 or 3:23) and some are stragglers.  Rachel's class is often one of the last to leave.  I don't know if that means there are a lot of dawdlers in her class, but if so, she was placed in the right one.

Anyway, I *am* enjoying watching the snow fall.  We get a lot of rain here, but snow can be harder to come by, especially some years, so it's usually welcomed by most people.  I'm just hoping we aren't in for a repeat of the Great Snow of Aught Six, when living on a hill that doesn't get plowed became a serious issue.  If so, Rachel just may be missing some days of school.  But, hey, I won't have to worry about the carline then.

No comments:

Post a Comment