Monday, November 1, 2010

Here We Go Again

I was psyched to start blogging daily again this month, which is NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month).  I have half a dozen ideas for posts saved on my iPhone (and a ton more in my head that come and go) and I had intended to start out the month with a "how I did it" post on the owl cupcakes I made for our pumpkin carving party a week and a half ago.  But a post like that requires pictures, which means I'd have to take the time to decide which ones I want, insert them into the post and make sure their formatting is correct.  And suddenly it's after 8:00 and I have other things to get to now that the kids are in bed, and I need to get to them if I want to get to bed at a decent hour, which I do.

This is my problem, though:  I have great intentions, but I always seem to run short on time.  I'll have to start setting a reminder to do this earlier in the day when I'm not racing against the clock to get something written down just so I can say I blogged today.  This phase in life, with young children, is so often about prioritizing and figuring out what you're going to let slide.  And it's not as if blogging is a critical part of my life, but it's fun to get back into the habit of writing regularly and it can be a creative outlet.  And maybe one day I'll enjoy going back through these posts and reading about what was on my mind or what I was up to at this stage.

Rest assured that I *will* be blogging on those cupcakes in the next couple of days, along with my thoughts on turning 40 and other things I've been thinking about.  I know, you're totally waiting with bated breath for the grand revelations soon to come.

(And if you're wondering where the phrase "waiting with bated breath" came from, like I was just doing, here's what World Wide Words has to say about it:

Bated here is a contraction of abated through loss of the unstressed first vowel (a process calledaphesis); it means “reduced, lessened, lowered in force”. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing as a result of some strong emotion, such as terror or awe.
Shakespeare is the first writer known to use it, in The Merchant of Venice, in which Shylock says to Antonio: “Shall I bend low and, in a bondman’s key, / With bated breath and whisp’ring humbleness.
So there you go.)

No comments:

Post a Comment