Saturday, November 27, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Just got back from 3 nights away at a rental house with a bunch of family for Thanksgiving.  It was nice getting away for a mini-vacation and spending time with loved ones.  We played some board games, watched movies, got in some free step for exercise, ate some tasty meals and enjoyed conversation with one another.  I had a good time, but I must say...

it's nice to be home again!  No matter how great the vacation, there's something comforting about being back in your own space.  And that was most apparent in Ben.  He did well on the trip, but by today, he was ready to be home again.  He didn't want to do pictures at the end before we all cleared out.  He was all about a teary "Bye bye! Bye bye!"  He was happy on the trip home, I think because he realized that's where we were headed.  He seemed to recognize things as we got within a few miles of our house, and when he was put into his crib, he just stood up and kept squealing and jumping and looking at different things in his room, then squealing some more.  He is definitely a boy who is all about the familiar and comforting.

We got some things put away but not all.  I love it when we're able to get everything put back in its place and the laundry to the laundry room and clean clothes put away on the same day that we get back from a trip.  We didn't get to that point today, but I intend to tomorrow.  Plus, James got our Christmas tree out of storage and assembled it for me so that I didn't have to do it tonight and be up later.  I promised Rachel I'd get it done after she went to bed so it will be ready for us to start decorating tomorrow.  I know she's excited for that, and I've been waiting for this, too!  I love having the trip up and decorated, and I want to be able to enjoy it for as much of the Christmas season as possible.

So tomorrow is about church, lunch, possibly a little shopping (we need a new bathmat for the kids' bathroom since we left ours at the rental house, and Family Christian Store is having an excellent sale and I've been finding some gift ideas I want to pick up there), putting away our stuff from the vacation, and decorating.  And exercising.  Sounds busy, but hopefully I'll be able to get those things done without feeling rushed and while enjoying myself.

It doesn't seem like we should already be getting back to normal school and work routines the day after tomorrow.  I wonder if that's because we had so much snow on Sunday and Monday that I ended up picking up James from work after a few hours and Rachel from school almost 3 hours early on Monday, then they cancelled school on Tuesday and Wednesday due to continued iciness.  So it was nearly a weeklong vacation for all of us.  Still, only 3 more weeks of school and Rachel has 2 weeks off.  It will be nice to be able to have some relaxed mornings, but I'll be working on ways to keep her and Ben entertained.  The nice thing is that James has a few days off each of those weeks, so I'll really only have 3-4 days per week to fill.

Clearly my mind is full and I need to let it wind down.  Maybe I'm getting used to blogging daily and have a hard time when I don't write long posts and get my thoughts out each day.  Or maybe I'm just in crank-it-back-into-gear mode from returning.

At any rate, I shall enjoy sleeping in my own bed tonight, and especially with my own pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment