Thursday, January 3, 2013

January Blog A Day: #1 New

James has taken up a friend's challenge to post on an assigned topic/word every day for the month of January.  Here is the graphic representing the topics:



James asked if I wanted to participate and at first I said no because it seemed like just something else to add to my to-do list.  But then I thought about how long it has been since I regularly posted anything here, and about how sometimes I get really wordy on Facebook because I have something to say and I don't get around to writing it as a blog post, and about how it might be fun to do this.  So I decided to give it a go.

Today's word is "New."  The most obvious thing that comes to mind is the new year.  I could try to think of something less obvious, but that takes effort, and it's the end of the day (almost).  Thus, I shall go with it.

I've been looking forward to this time post-holidays as a fresh start.  2012 ended up having some rough times, the roughest of which was a trip to the emergency room (2 emergency rooms with an ambulance ride in-between, actually) and an overnight hospital stay after our 4-year-old son, Ben, who has autism, experienced the onset of seizures due to epilepsy.  That was awful and draining, and the most frightening time in my life.  It happened on November 13, right as things were gearing up for Thanksgiving and the Christmas season and the Christmas musical I was involved in at our church.

Everything felt overwhelming, and like it was all I could do to just slog through and get stuff done and keep my head above the water for the rest of the year.  A bunch of follow-up appointments occurred over the next 5 or 6 weeks after the hospital stay, I bowed out of my commitment to volunteer in the kids' classrooms for the remainder of the year, and I would have been sorely tempted to drop out of the church musical if our daughter, Rachel, wasn't also involved.  I really wanted to support her, so I felt like I needed to see it through.

Although I looked forward to celebrating Christmas and New Year's, much of the time leading up to those holidays was spent thinking "Just hang in there. Just get through this crazy busy emotional rollercoastery time, and then things will calm down."

It has felt somewhat like 2013 has been a beacon of light and hope during that time.  I don't know what the future holds, and there will undoubtedly be more tough times ahead, maybe even scary ones, too (although I certainly hope not).  That's just life.  But I am setting goals for this year, things that I have said before "I would like to do/learn/try/accomplish __________ sometime."  This is the year when I will be going through those areas of clutter that remain in the house, beating them back and bringing them under control like we've been able to do in areas where we've already won the battle.  This is the year when I am going to start to learn to speak a second language conversationally.  This is the year when I get into a regular schedule of house cleaning, one that is manageable and not overwhelming, so that the necessary tasks get done each week and other stuff when needed, and so I can feel good about the state of my home and how I care for my family in that way.

I believe this is going to be a year of victory, of wins both big and small.  One idea I saw recently that we are going to do this year is to keep a kindness jar.  Start the year with an empty container, then fill it with notes about the good things that happen.  Open it up on New Year's Eve (or whenever you need to be reminded that life does not, in fact, suck) and read through and the great things that occurred.  And those are just the ones you noted!  I'm anticipating this time next year and being able to look back and see many many high points there were and how many things there were to celebrate.

6 comments:

  1. Your view of 2013 sounds a lot like ours:). We started a kindness jar as well, and Dean and I were just talking about this being a year of hope and change (hahahahaha, sorry) and intentionality and victories. And the battle to beat back the clutter continues (I'm not even a packrat, how does this happen??). Anyway, here's a virtual toast to 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta get in the habit of blogging...just...because...I don't want to forget, although FB is pretty good about reminding of stuff...but...I am so following this...let's see what we come up with on a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I think there's value in putting down memories and events in writing. I also think blogs are a better format for recording things you want to remember in the future. Easier to search, you can write in as much detail as you want, you can include photos and videos within your blog post, and I feel less self-conscious about a long blog post than I do a long FB status update, which feels more narcissistic for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I believe this is going to be a year of victory, of wins both big and small." Me, too. Big and small victories, easy and hard ones. But all in in... some victories to add to the old tool belt.

    Thanks to you and James for writing with us this month. I've heard much about your family and always enjoyed those yummy baked treats of yours when I worked at that office :) Cheers to your new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Lindsey! I appreciate the ideas that give good jumping-off points. I enjoy writing but don't always make time to do it, and having the prompts to get me started is really helpful. Cheers to you, too, and may you enjoy many victories throughout this year!

    ReplyDelete