Wednesday, January 9, 2013

January Blog A Day: #9 Made With Love

When I read the blog topic "made with love," my mind automatically went to food.  I love to bake, make candy and cook for people.  I love to do those things for myself, too, but I like being able to share the wealth.  I really enjoy creating things with food and giving them to others who will hopefully find them delicious!

One thing I've done since the kids have started school is to make goodies for their teachers.  I make a selection of them to give in gift tins at Christmastime, but I also like to send in goodies at random times throughout the school year.  I've made trays for the school office before and for the office at our church.  I send goodies in with my husband for his coworkers.

My mom makes goodies for local firefighters each year and delivers them on or near Christmas Eve.  One year, I baked along with her and went to make the deliveries.  I tried that here one year and the firefighters didn't open the door at the station when I rang the bell, so James and the kids had to take the goodies after dropping me off at church since I was singing on the worship team for Christmas Eve.  That was kind of a bust, so I haven't done it again.

When we had both of our children, our Sunday School or church provided meals for us several times a week for the first 3 or 4 weeks.  It was so awesome to be ministered to in that way!  It really helps take some of the load off of a new mom and dad, and makes them feel cared for, too.  I've always liked being able to return the favor when someone is organizing meals for new parents, people who are going through medical needs or those who just need some help.

When I make a meal, or cookies, or candy, or something else for someone and give it to them, it's my way of saying "I care about you."  My hope is that it brings them joy - that they not only enjoy the consumption of said food item, but that they also feel the affection and love that went into making it for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment