Monday, January 14, 2013

January Blog A Day: #14 Food

I do not think it will come as a surprise to anyone who knows me that I really enjoy food.  I like cooking it, eating it, receiving it as a Christmas gift (like the box of meat that my brother Joe and sister-in-law Katie sent our family for Christmas - with lots of bacon included!), and watching shows about it.

Food Network is probably my favorite channel.  My favorite types of food shows are the ones that involve competition, like Top Chef, Iron Chef America, Master Chef, Food Network Star and Cupcake Wars.  I love the ones where people compete to compete, too, like The Next Iron Chef.  Just something about the creativity and talent combined with the pressure of competition that I enjoy.

I like cooking.  I've already talked about that, so I won't go on about it.  I like cookbooks and Food Network magazine.  I'm determined this year to be more deliberate about choosing recipes from my books and magazines and trying them out and adding to my repertoire of favorites.

Most of all, I love eating it.  Weight was never a battle for me when I was younger.  I'd say I was in my late 20s before it started to become slightly problematic.  Then over the years, a few pounds were added on each year until I ended up overweight and struggling to not be overweight.  I actually had a lot of success with weight loss when pregnant with both of my children because I had gestational diabetes, which required a strict diet that left me 20 pounds lighter after delivery than I was when I got pregnant.  But I didn't build on that success either time, and put the weight back on.

In 2011, I dropped 27 pounds.  Then the holidays came and I thought "Eh, I'll just take it easy and enjoy the holidays, then get back on track afterward."  And before I knew it, I'd gained back 13 pounds and found it really hard to once again be self-disciplined.

I basically coasted through 2012, but I now have a renewed drive to lose my extra weight and, this time, keep it off.  I just don't want to be flabby anymore.  I'm not happy being the size I am, and that should be motivation enough for me to make it stick this time.

One of my biggest struggles is that I am an emotional eater.  When I am upset, or stressed, or have had a hard day with the kids, I want to console myself with food.  I need to find a healthier way to deal with those kinds of situations than putting food into my mouth.  Exercise helps, but doesn't take away the urge to eat when I want to feel better.  I've never been a big shopper, and we're on a pretty strict budget, anyway, so that won't do it.

I think I just need to not have stress any more.  And my kids should just behave themselves.

Yeah, that'll work.

No comments:

Post a Comment