Friday, January 4, 2013

January Blog a Day: #4 Pet Peeves

Oh, boy.  I almost hesitate to even write about this, because I fear that, once I start listing my pet peeves, I won't be able to stop.  But I'm too OCD not to write on-topic, so I will.  I'll just try to restrain myself.

  • People who clip their nails in public.  I actually hate the sound of nails being clipped period (except my own and usually my children's when I'm clipping them), but I think it's especially offensive when people take care of personal hygiene in public.
  • People who tailgate when I'm going the speed limit.  GO AROUND ALREADY.
  • People who go 5-10 miles an hour below the speed limit when conditions are perfectly fine.
  • The sound of loud gum-snapping.
  • People who kick the back of my seat, whether it's in church, on an airplane, in a movie theater, or anywhere.  It's just rude.
  • People who don't leave enough personal space when in a line, like at the grocery store.
  • When people RSVP "maybe" and then never update it.  As a former Californian, to me maybe means "I don't have a good excuse to say no, but I don't really feel like going, so I'm going to say maybe and then just weasel out by not showing up."  A maybe with a reason, along with an update to either a yes or no, is acceptable.
  • Being spoiled on a TV show that has just aired in the last few hours and which I have not yet watched.  It's the age of the DVR, people.  Show a little restraint.
  • When people say "nucular."  It's nu-cle-ar.
  • The rampant use of atrocious grammar and spelling on Internet message boards.
  • Also, the rampant nastiness on Internet message boards that arises out of the relative anonymity of online communication.  If you wouldn't say that to someone in real life, then shut your pie-hole.  If you would say that to someone in real life, then you need to reexamine yourself, because you are kind of pathetic.  You don't have to always "play nice," but you should treat people with respect even when you disagree with them or are angry.
And that seems like a good point for ending.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Lori! I work with James and just wanted to drop by and say that I'm so glad you are doing the link up! I've really enjoyed reading all of your posts.

    (And I must admit, the tailgating thing drives me nuts, too! Aren't people at all concerned about rear-ending someone?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katrina! It's nice to have a motivation to write regularly again, and the prompts keep me from having to come up with a month's worth of topics on my own, so that made it much easier. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! (Although the whole thing was Lindsey's idea...so I can't take too much credit!)

    ReplyDelete