Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January Blog A Day: #26 Winter/Summer

There are things I like about every season. There are I dislike about most seasons, too. It's hard to think of things to dislike about spring. But we're not here to discuss spring, anyway. Our current topic is winter/summer. Winter brings colder temperatures that are sometimes unpleasantly cold. Our furnace is 34 years old and struggles hard to keep up with the cold when temps go below 40, but it just can't. Correspondingly, our electric bill goes through the roof. If we have a big wind storm, ice storm or snow storm, we are almost guaranteed to lose power for a few days because so many power lines are near trees that fall over or lose big branches that take out linesor transformers. The gray days make me feel tired and lack energy, which makes it hard to get things done.  It also makes it feel dark inside the house and I end up having lots of lights on, even during the day.  Plus my hands can't retain enough moisturizer and I have to resort to increasingly heavy-duty moisturizers.

But winter brings a break from yard work. It sometimes leaves beautiful snow-coated landscapes. It's a season of fireplaces and sweaters and snuggling in blankets, either by yourself or with loved ones. I don't usually mind the rain, and it waters our lawn and plants enough that we don't have to worry about them for a number of months.  It sometimes features the Olympics, the only time I ever get really excited about watching a bunch of different sports. Winter is a time of hot casseroles and soups and rolls with butter. And it brings Christmas, which is my favorite holiday. I love shopping for gifts that I think people will really enjoy. I love making (and eating) Christmas goodies, and going to the annual ladies' Cookie & Candy Exchange. I love putting up the Christmas tree and looking at all the special ornaments and what significance each has. I love hearing Christmas music and seeing the lights all over. And I love celebrating the birth of Christ, and the candlelight Christmas Eve church service.  And relaxing afterward with my little family as we eat finger foods and watch a movie together.  And gathering with family to celebrate on Christmas Day.

Summer. Summer is a time that lacks structure and where I don't have much quiet time or time to be really productive. When it's a hot summer, I get cranky because, like most houses in this area, we don't have a/c. (Hopefully that's something we'll rectify when we replace our ancient furnace.) Lawn care kicks into high gear, including lots and lots of weeding, plus pruning and watering frequently and figuring out what plants need to be replaced.  Boredom can set in for Rachel, and all that time without an outlet for her energy like school can lead to behavior problems.  It's also tough to find enough to do with Ben when so little still interests him.

But summer gives us a more relaxed lifestyle with fewer obligations and early mornings when everyone has to get ready and rush out the door.  Summer gives us many days of beautiful blue skies and sunshine.  We have gorgeous flowers bloom in our front yard - the hydrangeas always wait until about mid-July, right in the thick of summer, and then they burst into glorious huge blooms of blues and purples and lavenders.  We take vacation time as a family and explore fun things to do in the local area, and get to spend those days just enjoying each others' company.  We take a break from many of the regular obligations and activities that stop during summertime and get to slow down and have a breather.  Plus, summer Olympics!

No matter the season, I usually find myself looking forward to its beginning with anticipation, thinking of all the things that I enjoy about that time of year.  Sometimes it feels like I'm rushing things along, but I think it's more that I want to enter into that time with a spirit of appreciation and thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment