Friday, January 25, 2013

January Blog A Day: #23 Dessert

If you know me at all, you know that I love desserts.  And I love sweet desserts.  There is such a thing as "too sweet," if something is really on the sweet side without a balancing richness of dark chocolate or saltiness or something else to cut through pure sugar.  But I'll never be one to go for a savory "dessert."  I don't think dessert is meant to be a savory course.

Moreover, I love to make desserts.  I love eating the raw product (particularly cookie dough and brownie batter), I love eating the finished product, I love making desserts to give to or share with other people...it brings me joy.  I have a dream of one day starting my own baking shop/confectionery, or a home business where I can make goodies and help support my family at the same time.  I started out thinking about a cupcake business, but I love to make cakes, too, and cookies, and candies are something that I started to become more interested in recently.

For our Christmas Day meal with family, I made 3 different treats, and 2 of those were candies:


From top to bottom, they are White Chocolate Cranberry Bars, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles (YUM), and Pecan Pralines.  I made goodie tins for Rachel's teacher and Ben's teachers and therapists before Christmas break.  They also included the Cookie Dough Truffles and Pecan Pralines, along with Maple Rice Krispy Treats and Fudge.

Here are some more past goodies:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

An Elmo cake for my son's 3rd birthday - chocolate on chocolate for my little chocolate lover!

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, done for my husband's grandmother's birthday

A baby shower cake done for my friend Rachel - also carrot cake with cream cheese frosting

For the cake walk at my daughter's school: triple chocolate pudding cake
with fudge frosting and crushed Oreos

For Thanksgiving: a Pumpkin Spice Cake with Chocolate Pecan Frosting

Hopefully one day I will find a way to turn this from a hobby I indulge in when I can to a career that I will really enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment