Saturday, January 26, 2013

January Blog A Day: #24 Teachers

I have tremendous admiration for the teachers I've known, both in my own years as a student and in seeing my children's teachers now.  I admire the friends I have who are teachers, too.

Teaching is a tough job.  It's choosing to be responsible for the learning of a bunch of kids who (usually) aren't even your own.  Sometimes (often) they act like right pains in the rear end.  Teachers share in shaping their students' behavior and teaching them how to be kind and responsible human beings.  They serve as mediators in disputes and provide positive reinforcement to encourage children to keep doing well.  They are not only underpaid, but they are often underfunded, and they spend their own money on classroom supplies and decor to make the classroom environment more fun, visually pleasant and stimulating for young minds.

I wonder at times why anyone would choose to be a teacher.  But I had an experience last year while helping out during the math period that gave me a glimpse as to why someone would choose that path.  I was working with a 2nd-grade boy who was struggling to get through the 1st-grade math book that was his.  I'd worked with him before and could tell how tough math was for him.  We went through a sample problem together, then it just clicked for him that day, and he quickly went through the rest of the problems and completed them correctly.

I was so proud of him!  It felt really good to see the switch get flipped and the learning process happening for him, and I know that he felt proud of himself, too.  I think the best rewards of the job must be in those moments who you can actually see learning and growth happening and a child feeling good about him- or herself, because they did it, they accomplished something.  And I think the reward is especially great when you know that the child struggles.

My hat goes off to teachers (or it would if I was wearing one).  You do such an important job and you probably don't get told nearly enough how much you are appreciated and valued.

No comments:

Post a Comment